Weekend Low Down


Sometimes I think the 4th of July weekend is overrated. There is a huge expectation to do something GREAT. Well summer in general, I feel like sometimes we work really hard at having fun, seeing those family and friends that are in town, making that concert in the park, be in the yard, squeezing it all in... and packing for the fun, being ready to have fun... do we have beer? Chips? pop? towels? swimsuits? raincoats (because, yes, it's Montana and the temp or weather could change any moment)? sunscreen? bug spray? toys? snacks? did I leave the cats in or out? do they have food? am I taking my dog with us? does she have a place? In the end, it's all for fun. But it can be a lot of work. And really the 4th of July in Montana is not typically the best weather for outside fun. It seems like summer doesn't really start until, July 5th. Although this year mother nature didn't get the memo apparently, so this year, the 6th she started the nice weather. Of Course, long weekend over, now it's nice out.

So weekend low down:

THURSDAY- Actually it kind of started Thursday, Brad was gone, but so I took the kids, each with a friend to the local park pool for an evening swim. It had been really nice in the morning, so I told them we could go, but when the time came to be there, for the evening session the temperature had dropped, the wind picked up and it was Frigging cold. Especially, since one of the kids that we brought has not yet passed the 'swim test' so I had to swim in order for her to be in something other than the kiddie pool. Really, I don't mind, but it was so cold and I think I was turning blue and had lost all feeling in my fingers. Finally, I bribed the kids if we could quit early I'd stop and buy them nachos and a hot chocolate. It worked... we were outta there!

FRIDAY- I got a babysitter, and went to lunch with a friend, and we planned out our upcoming weekend food and festivities. The lunch took forever, I mean like 2 hours. And it wasn't the planning, that was done in a few moments. It was the food, I think our man forgot to put the order in or something. But honestly I was enjoying the company and the kid-free time. So just kind of soaked it up. Then after a few margaritas we decided before going to Costco, we'd just bop into the tattoo parlor and she'd get her belly-button pierced. (not me, I did mine last January :)) And how convenient, a liqueur store next door. So we slipped in there afterward, loaded up on our weekend supplies and headed for Costco. I think our husbands thought we were crazy and ditto with the piercing guy. He asked us, well really my friend S,H. if she was under any influences before having this done, and she was like "well, yeah, my friend here (meaning me) and Duh, all those margaritas we had to drink at the restaurant before we made it here." ... Perfect

So anyway, we made it through our prickly activities and on to the next things. Costco for me and home. S.H's daughter was at my house with my kids and sitter for a sleepover. But I had 2 free tickets to go see a play (you know i can't turn away live theater) at the community college. It was called Honk, Jr. I knew it was a play for children, but honestly didn't know it was a play put on by kids too. And it was a musical. I was amazed by the talent of these kids. It lasted over an hour and there were tons of songs (some solo) to sing and lots of lines. It was great and I think the kids really liked it to. From there we headed to Alley Connection for some quick and easy Chinese Food. Then home to crash. The girls set up a fort to sleep on in our living room on the hideaway couch so they could all 3 climb in, but I was sitting up reading and could still hear them talking. It was so cute. They were taking turns writing stories about the other one. But for them to write the story they had to ask the other like 20 questions. It was just so cute to listen to their little minds work. The questions they would ask and the actually complex answers they would give.

SATURDAY- so it begins with pancakes for the overnight er girls, with huckleberry syrup (is there any other way really) did some food prep work, house clean up, packing up our stuff, a quick whip through the grocery store again, drop the dog off at grandma's... and we're free to enjoy the fourth. Arrive just in time for a BBQ baby back rib roast with all the fixing at B&SH's house. It was great, us them some of their family and close friends. About 6 kids, we had good food and good conversations.

SUNDAY- the 4th- It was raining. not just little driblets, it was pouring. We tried to sit outside and BH even put out the big propane heaters on the deck so it would be more tolerable. At one point however, we were reduced to sitting inside watching Jaws Part 1 Reruns on the TV. Again, another year of crazy weather. More friends arrived later, so not sure how many people were there total, 35 maybe, with lots of kids. Everyone was enjoyable to meet, and very nice. But the evening was a frenzy of friends, family, food, frinks ( I'm on an 'f' thing... just go with it) fnacks, and fireworks. And my 1:30 am when I finally headed to my bed, I was exhausted.... Good Night

MONDAY- Still more of the same raining weather so we decided to pack up and hit the road, a bit earlier than expected maybe. But, actually i was ready for my home... sanctuary... was tired of cooking so told Brad and Kids they were on their own for a box of cereal for dinner.

And that was it... Our weekend Low Down.. Another year to click on the notch. Good Times

0 comments:

Post a Comment