Sad Stats

It was a sad day/week at work. Today was the funeral service for one of our employees that passed away in a car accident over this weekend with his girlfriend. Sad, sad, sad..... He (and she, though I didn't know her) was very nice and super well liked, and had worked for us for about 1 year now. In addition to this bad news, 2 of our other employees lost family members over the weekend as well.

Not a good full moon weekend. 10 years ago I met C.C. at work and she used to really go on about how everyone always went crazy or bad things happened when the moon was close to full. She handles all of our human resource at work, which means she deals with employee issues. She has over the years pointed out when strange or bad things have happened (not just super horrible things like what happened this weekend, but anything from mood swings to arguments to bar fights), anyway she would point out that theses things, they almost always would be right around a full moon. Something about our bodies being made mostly of water, and the moons gravitational pull on our bodies being stronger when the moon is full, thus throwing equilibrium or hormones out of whack. Well, whether you believe that line of thinking or not, the coincidences are disturbing and unfortunate.

Something this weekends' tragic events got me to thinking about was how many employees we have actually lost over the years. We have had our business for 13 1/2 years now, and in that time we have had 696 (I looked it up before I posted this) different employees. But in that amount of people and 13+ years of time, this weekends loss is not isolated. We have actually lost 5 people over that time. Sad huh. None while working, thank the gods.

1- to asphyxiation
1- to choking
1- a random falling accident
2- car accidents (this includes this weekend)

I hate that I even know these sad but true statistics. Another almost as bad stat, though I don't know the actual numbers on this one, I am sure there is some website to look it up, but I don't want to spend the time... is how many past employees have gone to prison. I can think of at least 10...Nice!
Current Background Noise: Star Wars: the Building of an Empire on the History International Channel

0 comments:

Post a Comment