Something Wicked This Way Comes

I usually watch our local weather on the weatherchannel.com, you know, to keep up to date on what to expect, like everyone else. But yesterday, it was a 'Severe Weather Advisory- High Wind Alert' for the afternoon in our area. So early afternoon yesterday at my house, I happen to go outside to get something from my car I have parked in the driveway and looked toward the hills behind our house. The sky was dark gray, almost black with thick misty clouds. In fact, it looked like these clouds were laying over top the trees behind us and this cloudy wall seemed to be moving toward my place. Of course I'm thinking, ok, this is the storm they (the all-knowing weather people) said would be coming, but there is NO wind here at my place right now. It's totally still, yet the clouds are clearly moving toward me, and pretty fast. The calm before the storm, I assume.

I moved my car into the garage and went inside the house, on with my life. I know that a storm blowing in, obviously is not that unusual, and in fact here in Montana, the weather does seem to change in moments. But I swear, it was not 2 minutes after I walked back inside that this big gust of wind slammed into our house. It seemed instantly, it was super dark outside, the trees are bent, the windows are whistling, the chimes are ringing and now angled at almost 45 degrees. And, the irritating part, suddenly there is forest debris now flying all over my just-this-weekend-cleaned yard!

In all of this wind and darkness, flying debris and now sideways rain, I had this thought pop in to my head. My favorite line from Shakespear's Macbeth:

"Something Wicked This Way Comes."

(yes, I'm a geek, british lit was one of my favorites from college, I remember that stuff). But that line felt totally fitting to me in that moment. So I'm sharing it with you...

And WICKED it was actually... lots of rain, that later froze and became snow... again...and now there's tons more crap to pick up in the yard for this weekend... ugh

0 comments:

Post a Comment