I was talking to a friend yeesterday about a book that we both read, The Hunger Games. Actually, we were talking about it's part #2 that came out this last fall, Catching Fire. These books are supposed to take place in the future after some apocalyptic catastrophe has happened, wars chemical or nuclear or something has destroyed the US and a new government has formed. Somehow we were talking about how there is this arena, where participants must fight for their lives to survive and all of the population must and looks forward to watching this fighting to the death (a futuristic twist on the roman days I guess and the coliseum fights... kind of). But in the second book there is this glimpse of life outside this twisted government controlled country. They start to find out that not everyone is part of this horror-nation and that there may be hope somewhere else.
OK, that all being said, I said, "kind of like that movie from the seventies, (I couldn't remember the name at the time, but described it to her and it's plot." She just looked at me, no go. But I googled it. Found it instantly, it was one of the top 10 sci-fi movies of the 1970s. Logan's Run In this movie, the world has been destroyed by some kind of holocaust, a new society has been reformed, and part of the rules are that it has been forbidden to live past the age of 30. So, when you turn 30, you either go into this big arena to die in front of everyone, or they hunt you down on the side anyway. But someone sneaks out, finds there's hope out there that the government doesn't want its people to find out about.... Anyway see the similarities?
I remembered being freaked by this movie, and just reading the synopsis, brings back those memories. Maybe I was at the age when you're young and you're obsessed with death and who dies and how old they are when they die and how they die... always worrying that this would happen to someone I knew, (my daughter Laci is at this stage right now I think).
Does anyone remember this flick? Oh, yeah and HEY.. glad that rule doesn't apply here... 30 doesn't seem so old now huh..?















0 comments:
Post a Comment