Once a Witch by Carolyn MacCulloughMy rating: 3 of 5 stars
This was an easy cute story for sure. But there was something that just kept throwing me off, felt like I was stumbling over while I was reading it. It took me a bit to figure it out. I even had to pick up another book to see if I was crazy, which, I am sure I am. But this book is written in "present-tense." Kind of unusual I think, and honestly, to me, it reads awkward that way. ..." I say, I hit, I wipe, I kick, he says, she walks..." Instead of "I said, He kicked, she swam...etc." this may not seem wierd to anyone else. But I then pulled out like 6 other books, and not one of them is written in present- tense. Anyway, it's cool, it was just odd for me.
Something else that bothered me, was that I think to give the reader information, the main character would frequently just offer up personal details about where she lived and went to school and her family to a random stranger. This didn't fit for me, thinking ok, she lives in NYC, I am sure she would know better than that. I think it would have been more exciting for the stranger/ bad guy to find out some other ways.
I liked the main girl, Tamsin- cool name for sure. I liked her overall, and her thing with Gabriel was cute. Their powers were fun to know about and the whole plot was pretty interesting.
Overall, a light good read.
View all my reviews















0 comments:
Post a Comment