It's always sunny in New Jersey

Confession- I do NOT watch the news, read the news or listen to the news. I hate the news. I feel like it is ALWAYS bad. It's always about somebody doing something bad, or dieing, or missing, hurt, being sued, investigated, cheating on spouse, posing naked, breaking the law... You get the idea. And you all know its true. I was thinking as I type this that maybe the weather or the horoscopes or the sports section might not be bad news. But what am I thinking... often the weather is NOT good news, your horoscope can definitely be bad news, and sports... good I guess if your team won, bad if you're a famous sports person doing something naughty. I do not take the paper (we have in the past, but it just becomes excess fire starter in my house). Our satellite TV does not get the local channels- so I don't have to watch any local news. I only listen to satellite radio in my car, and only music channels- so nope, no news there either.

I have one friend that is always asking me, "did you see this in the paper?" "did you read about that?" Did you see what happenedto so and so in the paper?" Of course the answer is always, "NO." But I am always thrilled if she tells me. I feel like she was my built in filter, I only hear the important stuff if she tells me. Everything else I guess wasn't worth mentioning.

I have not listened to regular radio in over 6 years, and cancelled the newspaper over a year ago. My husband follows it on Fox News or CNN or CNBC. But I ignore it. And truthfully don't think I am lacking for it. I have decided the best way I for me get any new is via text... that sounds horrible, but if its World War III, California fell into the ocean, or there is a lunar eclipse... text me, I'll for sure get it... :)

So what brought this confession on? I was listening to Sirius Satellite Radio at my desk at work, the Pulse, channel #12. That's my favorite. There of course are no commercials nor any news interruptions. But once in a while the DJ will maybe read some facts that come across their desks. Just random info I guess, though usually music related. But one thing stuck with me today that she must have thought worth mentioning. She said, "apparently people in New Jersey are complaining about a new tax that has just been created to help stimulate the economy and reduce deficits. It's a tax on Tanning at Tanning Bed Salons." OK, I guess she thought that was funny, and honestly I think its hilarious. I don't really remember anyone I've ever met from NJ being really tan or anything...but I don't know, maybe this could be a huge factor in the change of our economic situation. You go NJ, maybe hitting hard to those people just trying to get a little sun instead of all the clouds and pollution there, can save us... funny!

Too bad I guess no one texted me about that.

3 comments:

Alicia said...

I have been media fasting for decades!!! I do check in our local radio a few times a month but I too have a few good friends who deliver the ultra important news. No tv for us for 14years, well we have a tv and vcr...but nothing goes on our screen unless we invite it. Itried to tune in during the elections and nearly needed therapy afterwards. I left the poles sobbing...no kidding.

Corie said...

ok, well you're inspiring... Honestly we hardly watch TV at our house only a few shows and that's it really. I think we each have a couple of things we like, and use the DVR to watch them when it's convienent, so luckily we don't have to be total slaves to the Tube. But honestly I'd rather read a book, and Brad be outstide before watching something on TV.

Other note- Miss you guys... coming to town again anytime soon?

Anonymous said...

Never fear - I'll be your filter and relay to you the important stuff in the papers as needed! Just finished my cup of tea while reading the WSJ, get the DIL at both home and the office, now have an app on my phone for USA Today and set my homepage to MSNBC. No wonder I don't have any time to read all the books you guys do!! PS - Got a cute postcard in the mail today. Great job - Not even one bit tacky!!

Post a Comment