A Ranting on Limits

I was at the library today picking up a couple of books I had had on hold that had come in (ooooh, is that good English??? I used the word had 3 times in a sentence). Anyway, I had to get in the front counter line because, as per usual, the self-checkout scanner was again NOT working. I was behind a woman with her little girl and they were checking out books. But it was taking FOREVER. I hadn't really paid much attention to what they were getting, till I was like 'come on, gotta go, tick tock.' But this is what prompted me to write this. The woman was checking out, and this is NOT an exaggeration, no less than 40 books! Adult and children's. She had finally filled 3 of the reusable grocery bags when she was done. I stood there, jaw open. I couldn't believe it. I have a personal limit of 5 books at one time for me and 2 each for my girls. I kind of have a personal rule that I shouldn't hold that many at a time. There are many people waiting to take a turn on a book, and that is what libraries are for. This woman to me was clearly taking advantage of a free system. No one can physically read that many in a few days, and I get to thinking even if you can, get some, take 'em back, get some more... hello. I asked the librarian if there was a limit to how many a person could check out at one time.... NOPE... Well my rant... there should be!



Then I was in the car, and the radio announcer was talking about upcoming elections, next week I think? And call or email them on what your (me as the listener's) opinion is on term limits for congress. I got to thinking, especially in light of the library thing... Hell yes, everyone needs some limits. Even the President, a position we consider #1 in this country has limits. I know some argue that it takes a long time to build up clout or experience or whatever to get anything done in Congress, and that is why it can be valuable to keep someone in there a long time. To me though, come on, if you can't get something done, persuade your side, be effective, leave your mark on history in 8 years or less, you're not good at your job, and need to move on. I believe, was built on new ideas, change and diversity, and I think there should be limits...or else, like the library today, there is always someone to abuse the system and take advantage.



There, I ranted..

0 comments:

Post a Comment