
There was a "christening meeting" with the Boat Club tonight. Have I told you about this before??? My husband and 4 of his friends regularly hang out in evenings or on the weekends on their boats together. It's a group of three guys with sailboats (one of which would be Brad) and a couple of other guys that are power boaters. But honestly any guy could join, and often do. I think all you have to do to be a part is like boats, water, warm weather, flip-flops, shorts, margaritaville music or just rum. Periodically they each invite or bring friends so there's a whole slew of them, and sometimes its just the basic bunch. And to be clear, it isn't really a 'Club' per se, I think that's just what they call themselves. If you know anything about where I live, you might be wondering where they are meeting. Well here's the funny part. In the summer, they boat up together on the lake. Tie boats side by side (so you can walk across them), anchor in a bay on Wildhorse Island, Cedar Island or Bull Island or Zelenzy Bay on Flathead Lake, listen to music, drink, play the guitar, talk about boats, dream of owning a bar on a beach, drink some more, talk about boats, polish the boats, drink some more... you get the idea...
When the summer ended last fall, the lake levels were dropped, and the boats were moved to dry storage for the winter, I wasn't too keen on the Boat Club moving from bar to bar or driving when they were having their meetings. So Brad came up with the idea to move their meetings to the boats... of course... what was I thinking. So he set up his shop, where he is storing his boat and 2 of his friends' boats with a heater, music, mini bar, BBQ and cots. I think they decorated the walls with old sails and even put up a projector screen so they can watch sailing videos or something (hmmm.?>?) So this way they get to still be next to their boats, tinkering with them, dreaming of water, while listening to island music, drinking rum, and no one is out at a bar or driving around. Honestly, he has fun, its harmless, I totally don't mind...
Today our weather has been horrible. Pouring, pouring all day. Even now, my home thermometer says 42* and it's still raining. But tonight, though, one of the Boat Clubbers, that just got a new power boat (with an interior cabin) was going to put his new vessel in the lake. So in true Club form, they're all there, putting the boat in after work tonight and heading down the lake to one of their summer spots. Brad just texted me a little while ago, saying that they were at Bull, warm in the boat, looking at the lights of Polson...bad weather... meh...
And so another season of summer boating begins, the Club has successfully inaugurated another boat into its fleet... and I am sure each of the others will celebrate their 'coming out' parties or should I say 'going in' parties, as soon as they are launched... funny...Boys and their toys!















0 comments:
Post a Comment