The Darkest Whisper by Gena ShowalterMy rating: 4 of 5 stars
I believe this book #4 in the series of the Lords of the Underworld, has officially moved into being my favorite(though #1 is holding a firm second place for me, I just loved Maddox!) of the 4.5 of these books that I have read so far. And up until almost the end, about 30 pages to go, I had been prepared to rate it 5 stars. But then Gwen, the main heroine, just threw the ending for me and I was totally pissed at her. She completely blew it in the final hour, and then everyone kindof just shrugged and was like "oh well, plan B, I guess." Honestly, at about 75 pages left, I thought to myself, wow, this story could really get interesting and complicated, with Gwen, Galen and Sabin, with lots more story to be told, but it just seemed abrubt and empty at the end. And then felt like she and Sabin were completely sappy toward eachother in the final bits. So, I knocked my rating down from 5 to 4. But the story leading up to the end was great, so if someone else is reading this don't be discouraged. It's still a great read.
The intimate scenes between them were Sooooo steamy. And I thought the take on her creature (a Harpy) was unique and interesting. Another great book from Gena Showalter. Though I had planned to jump right into the next two books right away and get caught up on this series, I think, in light of the ending and how irritating it was, I think I'll hold off and pick up something different one for a while, change of pace. Then I'll get back to these.
View all my reviews















0 comments:
Post a Comment