My Thoughts on Clockwork Angel

Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices, #1)Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This book too me quite a bit of 'picking' at to get through it. And I wanted to love it and devour it. But really, not so much. The descriptions in it are beautiful. But I think that might have been my problem. There was too much of it. She describes EVERYTHING. The landscape, the buildings, the rooms, what everyone is wearing, how they look, what their hair looks like, the wallpaper, the bed, the side table, curtains, the books shelf, the river, the gates, the sounds, the smells... this is all well and good. And really I felt I could see myself moving through the picture and vividness she created, right there see it all. And I was trying really hard to pay super close attention to all of this descriptiveness. Thinking that all of these details must be really important to something that is going to happen, so I'd better not miss it. But in the end, I wanted MORE story, and MORE dialogue. I found myself looking ahead in the pages or paragraphs, to get a glimpse of when they would be speaking again.

This is only the second Steampunk novel I have read (the other being Soulless), and both now seem to have that 'automation thing' going, so I am not sure if that is a specific trait for this type of novel or just coincidence?

By the end I felt like I had made it through all of the descriptiveness, some pretty good action and story, to only be left with TONS of questions...Why was that? What did he mean by that? What are you? Why did that do that?... any many more. I am now of course anxious for the next in this series, but do not like to feel as if being 'tricked' into continuing. I have been a fan of Cassandra Clare since City of Bones, and would have read on to the Clockwork Princess whether she had given us a satisfying ending or not.

View all my reviews

0 comments:

Post a Comment