The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz ZafónMy rating: 2 of 5 stars
As much as I wanted to, I did not finish this book before giving it back to its owner. I can safely say this one I need to "come back to" in the future some time. This was a Book Club read for me. So for four plus weeks this novel has been staring at me, telling me to finish or I am letting my fellow Book Clubbers down. Well, be down girls because... I have NEVER fell asleep while reading a book. Until this. And I think it happened each night I read it. I was only able to bite off small bits 20-30 pages at a time before waking up some hours later wondering what happened to me and then I realized it was this book.
I think overall it's a nice story line. I like that a person is charged with the protection of a book for their life. It is their responsibility to make sure that it and its author's efforts are never forgotten. There were many other storylines and subplots also running alongside this one, so it was interesting, for sure. And this book gets great rating and reviews on Goodreads. So I must be missing the boat somehow. I thought the way the author just went on and on with descriptions, adjetives, story-telling (the main character kept having to find out everything by interviewing all of these people, and they would all just go on and on and on) and even hardly-used $100 words (that I will say had me looking up to the dictionary periodically) had me completely annoyed and honestly falling asleep. I feel like I am curious to know how the book ends... and who was the creepy-stalker guy? But from talking to my friends I was going to need to invest another 200+ pages to find out. Another time, and maybe with me being in a different state of mind- or dimension- okay.
View all my reviews















0 comments:
Post a Comment