Angel by L.A. WeatherlyMy rating: 5 of 5 stars
This book was like a quest for me. I’d read friend from the UK’s review about it on Goodreads and somehow decided I had to get my hands on it. And for several weeks it was completely unavailable in the US. Borders didn’t have it in its system (I’d even gone in to double check) nor could I get it online. But over a month after its release date, it popped up available on Amazon, so I’d ordered it. And how fancy did I feel getting my book sent to me via “Royal Mail.” Funny.
Finally with my hands on it, I dove in. I had high hopes for this book and I was not let down. I loved everything about it. At first I thought it would be a typical YA in High School Novel. There’s a girl, with her best friend, a guy comes along, needs to kill her, so joins the school to get close to her. I had thought it would be all based around school. I was SOOOO wrong, and SOOOO glad. In fact the school part was maybe only a chapter or so in the beginning. The novel took twist and turns I totally had NOT expected.
I thought Willow was a great character and seemed to react to situations in a very real way. She was strong, yet vulnerable and honestly good. When she realized she was ‘unusual’, she wasn’t like “Ok, cool” she was genuinely freaked out and scared, even of herself. She was never caddy or immature, I didn’t think the cover of this book did her any good. Originally it was part of what made me want to read it. But after finishing, I was a bit sad they used the girl they did, and that she had the expression she did. I didn’t picture Willow, after reading it, to be anything like the person on the cover. Long, blond hair- yes, thin, fragile- yes, but not this devious, wicked thing.
And Alex, I think he is my latest book crush. There wasn’t anything about him that I would change.
The middle of the book did drag a bit, but I think it was mainly just relationship building that probably needed to be done. And the end was a teensy bit mushy. But as I thought more about it, to me it was really what everyone would have said to each other when you both survive and get away from something very traumatic. Usually books kind of just end, after the big finale. But this one went on for another 20 pages, and most of it was all the things you would have said to someone you thought you’d lost… the next day.
Anyway, great, great book. Definitely committed to book #2, although I honestly cannot imagine how this author will overcome the huge obstacles that face these Willow and Alex. Read on!
View all my reviews















0 comments:
Post a Comment