My Thoughts on Awakened

Awakened (House of Night, #8)Awakened by P.C. Cast

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


This book was a bit ‘meh’ for me. I definitely liked it. But love… not so much.



I’ll start off by saying… wowzers. A bit more sex than I would have expected out of a YA novel. Actually with the sex and language in it, I think it should probably move out of the YA category altogether. As an adult, I personally do not mind reading that stuff. But as an adult with young girls, getting towards middle school and beyond… it TOTALLY bothers me, mainly that the sex and foul language is portrayed as so common and accepted. Maybe it is and I’m being delusional.



I think I actually liked Zoey better in this book than in the last two. I felt like she seemed a bit more realistic, just admitting that she was tired, and sick of trying to have to save the world. And wanting to hide from it. Even if that did only last for a day or two. I mean after all, she’s only been involved in this new world to her for…what… four months now. That’s a lot of pressure. Having to save the world in 8 books over 4 months. ‘Smirk’. I still think it is totally ridiculous how everyone is just gaga over her and pretty much worship her every move. I honestly could probably due without her friends the ‘Twins’ and sadly, even Damian. I think just give Zoey their powers and be rid of them, oh wait… she already has their powers. So why are they even there again? Really their goofy dialogue has me rolling my eyes over and over and wishing they weren’t even a part of the book.



I missed Aphrodite. I always really like her character, and I felt like she was just barely in this one. I always like her honest interaction with Zoey, and though she was always terribly snarky, I thinks she keeps it real. And isn’t totally trying to baby Zoey or worship her every move. Out of all her friends, I actually think she is the best one for Zoey.



Finally I felt like it went somewhere good with Stevie Rae and Rephiam. So hurray! I was happy about that. But I definitely did NOT like the new twist with Heath. Ugh… I want that subplot to be over. I am sad for the new connection between Stark and Kalona… I really like Stark; I’m going to hate it if he gets all creepy. And lastly, the final little twist with Zoey’s mom….I felt like that was sooo lame I can barely put it into words. I just seemed like another attempt by a YA author to take parents and any required interaction with them, out of the picture. That way teenagers, can live with boys, travel the world on a whim, try to save the world, do whatever they want all without any parental guidelines or watchfulness. Hmmf.





View all my reviews

0 comments:

Post a Comment