This may sound silly, but I felt like my girls had this coming of age moment. We were riding in the car to town yesterday, and they were watching #3 of the Harry Potter movies in the DVD player. Now, this was new to us, because, in the past the kids have thought those movies were a bit scarry, So I felt best just not to watch them. But they said they really wanted to, so I gave in the other day and let them watch movie #1, Harry Potter and the Socerers Stone and then #2, Chamber of Secrets. It was all fine, so in the car, we had put in #3. But here's the moment... we're driving along, and Maddi take her head phones off and says, "Mom, I've decided that Sirius Black is my favorite character, and Hermoine too of course, I want to be just like her." I teared up and smiled to myself. She wanted to know who my favorite character of the stories was, I told her Snape of course. She has now been begging me to read the books. She's read several chapter books: Horrid Henry, Geranimo Stilto, Charlie and the Chocolate Factor, Diary of a Whimpy Kid. So I think she's almost there. I'm so excited.
Now, to those of you who are not huge fans of this book series, I am sure you are wondering what the big deal is?.. What am I going on about? But I completely loved these stories, and became immersed in these charaters and the plot. And having my kids like them and start to be hooked on them is like passing down something I loved, for them to love too. Something we can love together. I can see them loving this series like I loved Star Wars.
I relate this to Star Wars because to me those books and stories were like that for me growing up. I lived with my mom (single -parent) in a not-so-great neighborhood in the LA area. So just going out and playing with the neighbors was not really an option. I had lots of books, and remember I used to watch the Star Wars Series movies over and over (we had them on BETA... funny). They were like friends to me in a coming of age, growing up time.
So, I am sure this makes no sense to anyone else but me, but all I can say is that that moment in the car, I had a Star Wars Moment.















0 comments:
Post a Comment