My Thoughts on Poison Study

Poison Study (Study, #1)Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I am on the fence about this one. Rate it a 3 or 4 star. And for that reason I have held off on my thoughts of this book for a week. So I have decided to rate it on the higher side of the two ratings, though honestly, it belongs in the middle. The premise of the story is unique, it is based on a death-sentenced confessed murderer turned royal food taster in a final reprieve. At first I wondered how interesting could her story be for very long, but soon found Yelena's back story and the continually complicating plot that surrounded her to be captivating. I will say that I thought this book, that was supposed to be a "young-adult" genre, definitely crossed over into the adult realm. The descriptions of her past torture, though subtle, were still very descriptive and disturbing and just seamed to be of a more adult content. Not a bad thing, just making it more complex than I had anticipated.

This book had a bit of romance to it, but not an over amount. Actually, I was almost taken by surprise by it in the end and the romance that had developed between the characters. Usually, I think the main guy in romantic stories is described to be completely hot, but this one I thought was overpowered to me by the my thoughts that he was a bit old for her and completely psychotic most of the time. But it all came together in the end. And leads you (me the reader) into wanting to know more of their story and how they will overcome. I'll keep going for the next.

View all my reviews

0 comments:

Post a Comment