Lost the Green Thumb



I'm always all about the pictures. I like it when I read others' blogs and there are pictures. I guess I enjoy having a peek into their world. Now I've almost gotten to where I don't post something that I want to write without a pic. Bad I know. I am probably relying too much on the visual and need to focus on being better at being descriptive. Anyway, that little digression aside....


These are pictures of the view on the road to our cabin. Yesterday my husband had to take two heavy CAT loaders up there (it is 15+ miles off main road on an unmaintained private road) to get it plowed out so we could go there over New Years. Tuesday night we got another huge dump of snow, and apparently there was even more there than towards town where our house is. In one night our mountain got 24" of new snow and it was blowing to beat the band. So my husband said the drifts plus the old snow under the new was over FIVE feet deep in many places.


And how does he know how deep it was off the road you might be thinking right now??? Well during the storm, he and his friend, in a moment on complete NON-BRILLIANCE, decided they'd head up there and go snowmobiling. This is not a good picture, but it is actually my husband next to a snowmobile, on the mountain, in the middle of no where, during a blizzard, close to dark...and oh, did I forget to also mention that he had left his cell phone and shovel and snow shoes in the truck... yeah, that too.

Anyway, long story short, they had a great day, but some how were separated and had both machines stuck in five feet of snow. Brad's actually slipped into a hollow of a tree and then the whole tree's snow fell down on him and the cat. Needless to say, they went in with two cats, came out with one. But had big smiles and a great story to tell.


Yesterday (the next day), my husband and another friend took some of our machines from work up to the mountain to plow out all the snow and to dig out the snowmobile. The pictures at the top were taken from then. But the mountain was not done with my husband... oh no...as darkness fell, so did a bit more drama. Some of the giant chains you see in the picture above had come loose off the tire and he was in a pinch to get them fixed so he could finish and get back down the mountain. So he climbed down and was cutting some wire to tie the chains as a temporary fix. It was total dark out apparently and instead of cutting the wire, he cut the end of his thumb off (from nail bed and cuticle to the end). Yes, I did just say that. I actually have pictures of that too, but wasn't sure they'd be PG...


So after much ado, a day of plowing, a trip to the ER, some painkillers and a few Bacardi-Rums he was home safe and sound, still missing the buried snow cat. This morning it was -15* out when he packed up, thumb immobilized and hand all wrapped up, along with three friends and headed for one last trip up the mountain to rescue the snowmobile, which is now parked in our driveway and he is passed out in bed.... WHEW.....


HAPPY NEW YEAR!


A bit of irony.. my husband's dad had also lost his same thumb (on left had) in the same place, at the same age as Brad is right now... Crazy huh?!? And he used to always tease that now he didn't have to do any yard work or gardening because he'd cut off his green thumb. I am sure I will be hearing those words again in April.

0 comments:

Post a Comment