My Thoughts on Arcadia Falls

Arcadia FallsArcadia Falls by Carol Goodman

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I have been holding out since I finished this book to write a blurp about it. I am still unsure of what to say, even now that I've digested it. It is hard to say too much without giving away too much of the story.

At first I was pretty interested in the mother-daughter relationship between Meg and Sally. I thought it seemed real. But later I thought There were too many other characters, all interacting and it distracted from this initial relationship. Meg too easily let her daughter do what-ever she wanted. Sure she would worry, but the worry seemed second or almost seemed forced.

There were parts that I found to be unbelievable, mainly the parts that took place from a Journal dating back to the late 1920's. I just found it hard to believe that so many women were so openly "lesbians" and that it was so easy for them to be selfish and prioritize art, or being an artist over family or children. I look back and think it was supposed to be a time when women worked too hard, had lots of kids and did whatever it took to survive and it was all second nature to them. I was so irritated with the Lily character that she would give up her child to be with her "beloved" (another woman) and to be an artist. Lily is portrayed and remembered (by people in present day) with almost reverence, and in the end, it is as if everyone wants to have been related to her somehow. She did a horrible thing/ things, I didn't get that.

I had to roll my eyes by how everyone dies in this book. I mean really... all the same way? Time after time? The deaths at the school didn't play out right to me either, and no one is really all that upset, and it is just "school as normal." I would think parents' concern would have been involved somehow.

I thought the end was complicated,and coincidental. I even had to re-read sections to be sure I grasped who was related to who, and what had just happened. I had thougnht the story had ended, and was a satisfying ending, and then another major twist was added in the last few pages, and it seemed forced, and confused everything, in my opinion.

I would recommend this book to my friends, but have it be something you are dabbbling at, not planning to devour.

View all my reviews

0 comments:

Post a Comment