Vampire Academy by Richelle MeadMy rating: 3 of 5 stars
This book completely felt like high school to me. I know is is young-adult genre, but sometimes those books can push the limits and almost fall into adult fiction. There is a lot of YA that I like and really look forward to reading. But this was like reading and reliving high school for me all over again. The petty drama of: "I like you, I don't like you. You're popular, you're not popular. See how I can spread rumors about you and ruin you." was all to annoying. I think most of us call ourselves lucky to have safely maneuvered through our high school years to say that we survived. Being re-immersed in that emotional conflict is not a fun place to go.
Genre and setting aside (and actually it takes place in the mountains of montana outside of Missoula- that's cool), this story did not do much for me. I thought Rose was ok, but Lissa was pretty lame, if not a complete drag. And the two of them had an almost too strange friendship, I thought. Dimitri saves this story in my mind.
Anyway, maybe if I'm feeling nostalgic for my high school years, needing to feel a little girl-drama, and my "to-read" list is cleared up, I'll pick up the next in the series.
View all my reviews















0 comments:
Post a Comment