My Thoughts on A Caress of Twilight

A Caress of Twilight (Meredith Gentry, #2)A Caress of Twilight by Laurell K. Hamilton

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Really, this book was a 3.5, not 4 stars. But I do enjoy Laurell Hamilton's books, so am rounding up. I might have actually gave it only 3 stars, but the lasts 50 pages kind of picked up and things happened and left some new openings for the next book. So for me it kind of redeemed itself an extra 1/2 star.

So much of this book just dragged on, and on, and on. The descriptions of what people looked like and what they were wearing was very complete. I definitely felt like I was there seeing all the characters. And besides the description, I felt like another huge chunk of the story was spent policitally maneuvering every situation. "Be my ally, don't be my ally." The main character, Meredith is constantly worring over and talking with her men about how to find out info and make allies and being all faery-politically correct the whole time. I think there was a point where Meredith spends 10 pages complimenting and describing a rival king on his eyes and hair...UGH! I kept trying to pay close attention thinking something important was going to happen and I need all of these details. But no.

I guess I am used to the Anita Blake series that Hamilton has also written, and that main character tends to plow through life, shoot first, ask questions or beg appology later. Action, Action, Action. Meredith is instead all about the analysis and careful-pre-thought or agenda to every move she makes. She spends most of her time either in bed with a warrior on the 'mirror-phone' with various court members. It just got a bit boring.

But the sex part was, um, NOT SO BORING. **Ahem** (slight blush)*** Since Meredith is supposed to provide an heir to the throne or be killed, she rotates her 5 or so warriors (all hot, beautiful men) through her bed every night. Life could be worse right? Having orgasims that cause earthquakes.

Sex aside, most of the book was politicing and sex. I felt like the book needed more action. And finally the last 50 pages or so had some. Meredith gets some new powers which leave the future seem more interesting. I actually alrealy own the next 4 books of this, so I guess I'm in for reading them. But just might put a few other things in between this and the next.

---------------------------------------

"Some choices you make with your heart, some with your head, but when in doubt choose head over heart.... it will keep you alive. -merry gentry"

A quote from A Caress of Twilight by Laurell K Hamilton

0 comments:

Post a Comment